[governance] How the web lost its way – and its founding principles

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Mon Aug 25 15:02:40 EDT 2014

I'm not sure I'm convinced that anything went particularly wrong.

But if I were to characterize a big picture sort of thing it's that
little or no economy emerged for activities which weren't inherently
profitable such as selling books or shoes or eyeballs.

The internet generally prides itself in its tax avoidance yet taxes,
as Justice Brandeis said, pay for civilization.

Add to that a period of govt austerity largely brought on by vast
financial industry errors (I'm being kind) and it's not surprising
that non-profitable activities have waned even as the internet grew.

And of course a nearly Stockholm Syndrome mentality by the voting
populace -- at least in the US but I don't think it's really limited
to the US -- which identifies with the notion that if an activity
isn't inherently profitable then it isn't worthwhile. Profiterianism.

Who needs fresh water when you have music videos?

War remains one notable exception. Not terribly profitable except
inasmuch as it skims the common weal, yet always extremely well
funded, even on the internet in the form of "intelligence" and
propaganda warfare.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada