[governance] Fwd: RE: Courtesy Visa for Turkey and funding

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Aug 12 12:44:05 EDT 2014

From: Suresh Ramasubramanian [mailto:suresh at hserus.net]

Most embassies allow you to either use a travel agent or mail in your passport.

And the intermediaries charge no less than $90 for this service. This is just such a lovely demonstration of the economic obliviousness of governments. To avoid less than $50 in costs we incur $90 - $1,000 in expenses. I went through the same thing for Netmundial, ended up spending 36 hours and $800 to get that “free” visa (and by the way, Brazil would not accept any intermediaries for this free visa, you had to apply for it in person.) No thanks!