[governance] WSIS 10+

Anja Kovacs anja at internetdemocracy.in
Tue Aug 5 14:52:01 EDT 2014

Dear all,

For those who are interested, there is a plenary session on "Developing the
information society beyond 2015: lessons from the WSIS+10 Review and
NETmundial", organised by the Internet Democracy Project, tomorrow, 6
August, at 1 pm IST at the APrIGF. I have pasted the full details of the
plenary below this message.

Remote participation should be available, (see http://2014.rigf.asia/remote/)
though I heard that unfortunately today there were quite a few problems
with it.

And +1 to the proposals to write a letter to the UN Secretary General, as
well as to the USG and, I would propose, to Fadi Chehade, who seems to have
become the undisputed cheerleader of the USG position now that the latter
in many ways stands publicly discredited when it comes to "Internet
freedom" and multistakeholderism.

As for Parminder's question "Did we ever ask for the WSIS model (of course
with evolutionary improvements) for WSIS plus 10 review. No, no one did" -
I thought that I share again this letter that some of us (including some
who have been following the WSIS+10 Review quite closely) wrote to the
facilitators of the governmental negotiation processes in February. I think
it quite clearly disproves the points that Parminder was making in his
message above.

http://internetdemocracy.in/2014/02/letter-to-co-facilitators-calling-for-civil-society-input-into-negotiations-on-wsis10-modalities/

Best regards,
Anja

*Title:* "*Developing the information society beyond 2015: lessons from the
WSIS+10 Review and NETmundial*"

Format: Panel discussion

Invited panelists:

Mr. Adam Peake - GLOCOM
Dr. Anja Kovacs - Internet Democracy Project
Dr. Govind - NIXI
Mr. Hardeep Singh Puri - Bharatiya Janata Party and formerly Government of
India
Mr. Paul Wilson - APNIC
Mr. Rajnesh Singh - ISOC

Moderator: Prof. Ang Peng Hwa - Nanyan Technological University, Singapore

Abstract:

In 2015 the WSIS is up for an overall review. Though strictly speaking the
WSIS was supposed to be about ICTs and development, the Internet governance
issues that are contained in it have obtained a growing role. In fact,
during the multistakeholder WSIS+10 MPP meetings, the debate on many more
'hard core' development issues often seemed to be held hostage to the IG
debate, in that there was a reluctance to agree on new language for fear of
the possible wider implications of such language.

The ICTs for development agenda continues, however, to be of great
importance for many countries in our region. This then raises the question
of how the development agenda contained in the WSIS can be revitalised.
What shape do we want the WSIS agenda and process to take beyond 2015? What
shape do the overall review in 2015 and its preparatory processes need to
take for this to be possible? What lessons can we learn from both the
content and form of discussions at the WSIS+10 MPP and the WGEC to take the
Internet governance debate forward in a way that serves the Asia-Pacific
region and ensures that the development debate can gain greater prominence
again? What role can and do efforts such as the NETmundial, but also
national Internet governance processes play in shaping this?

The session will reflect on our experiences of the past 11 years as part of
the WSIS process to move forward towards a better future, and include a
consideration of lessons learned from multistakeholder processes such as
the NETmundial, the MPP and the WGEC on how to best get the IG part of the
WSIS agenda unstuck.

Dr. Anja Kovacs
The Internet Democracy Project

+91 9899028053 | @anjakovacs