[governance] NetMundial funding - information requested

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Apr 5 05:38:09 EDT 2014

Someone who is not in these civil society circles, and who had sought
funding support on registering for NetMundial, asked me information
about how funding support works. Since I am not able to help that person
with this information, may I request those involved with the meeting to
provide it. Please note that this is urgent. (The concerned person has
received an email from ICANN informing him that ICANN would support
her/his travel for the meeting.)

It will be useful to know full details about how the funding process
worked. Was there a pool of donations? Who picked up the participants
who were offered funding? What kind of criteria was used? Why individual
funders are approaching participants with funding support, and why a
centralised approach from the meeting organisers was not made/
considered?  Whether there are other funders too making such a direct
approach? Who are the funders and what amounts have been committed?

If say an Internet company was to approach a civil society participant
declaring that it will fund her/ his travel, it could create a potential
problem because many civil society groups have limitations on what kind
of funding for travel etc they can accept from private companies,
especially those who work in their own activity area , and under what
conditions.

I request early information on the above since the person who has asked
for this information and her/his organisation needs to make an early
decision about accepting the funding, given the short period to the meeting.

Thanks

parminder

PS: It is not a personal gripe because two persons from IT for Change
have been offered support in a similar way and we have accepted it.