[governance] DNS [Property or Public Good]

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Fri Apr 4 15:46:54 EDT 2014

On 04/04/2014 11:40 AM, Garth Graham wrote:

> While I admire the clarity of your first law, it feels to me that, when you define the corporate as a person...

I'd be among the last to want to assert that corporate forms are
persons.  ;-)

Take a look at http://cavebear.com/amendment/

But in the context of my "first law" formulation, I accept that
corporations are things that use the internet and that they should have
some ability parallel to that of natural humans to have private
interests and use the internet to advance those private interests - as
long as there is not a strong, concrete public interest to the contrary.

You mentioned measuring the benefits in advance of action.  I don't see
how that can work, particularly on the internet where it is difficult to
foresee benefits and malafits (that's a word I made up to mean the
opposite of a benefit).

Indeed, back in the late 1960's when the ideas of packet switching were
bouncing around (pun intended) the circuit switching telcos were very
actively trying to suppress those ideas by claiming that they would
damage the circuit switched universe.  Had it been necessary to make a
prediction at that time of the value of packet switching we might never
had had an IP based internet.

It is also interesting to look at the Hush-A-Phone case from which I
derived much of the original notion of the "first law" that I formulated:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hush-A-Phone_v._United_States

	--karl--