[governance] Caucus Statement on Weakened Crypto (was Re: UK Cryptographers Call For Outing of Deliberately Weakened Protocols, Products)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Thu Sep 19 07:53:11 EDT 2013

Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:

> As long as there is a meaningful and apolitical feedback produced by
> this caucus I couldn't care if it were sent to nist, released as an
> open letter or printed out on a sheet of paper, made into an origami
> boat and floated down the Potomac in the hope that Keith Alexander or
> James clapper sees it.

Suresh is right that the IGC should release a statement on this topic.
(I don't agree that anything can possibly be apolitical but I suppose
what is meant here is: “broadly acceptable from a wide variety of
political perspectioves”, and I think that that can be done on this
topic.)

He mentioned in off-list email: "you can say I am happy to take the
lead in drafting this once I get back from traveling, which should be
by the middle of next week".

Let's support this initiative.

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Recommendations for effective and constructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person