[governance] [At-Large] The Internet as we know it is dead

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Sep 2 15:54:14 EDT 2013

On Aug 31, 2013, at 9:09 AM, JFC Morfin <jefsey at jefsey.com<mailto:jefsey at jefsey.com>> wrote:

Why is this that RIRs have been the first to endorse OpenStand RFC 6852 http://open-stand.org/home-page/endorsements/?

For clarity, ARIN did not endorse the Open Stand platform, predominantly
because when the opportunity to participate presented itself, there was
insufficient time for consideration of this particular statement of principles
and implications by the ARIN community. Note also that "not endorsing"
does not equate to rejecting the Open Stand principles; it simply means that
they have not been brought before the ARIN community for consideration
at this time.

Many of the Open Stand principles (e.g. openness, transparency, equity,
fairness, consensus) may be found in ARIN's foundational documents,
but to me that does not equate to having community consideration and
endorsement of the full platform as it applies to the mission of ARIN.
Additionally, the Open Stand principles appear to have been chosen in
the context of technical standards development, and was not clear how
such principles would apply to activities for Internet number resource
management.  For example, while calling for "voluntarily adoption" of
technical standards is fairly clear, less clear is how such a principle
would apply to the various registries (e.g. protocol, number, or name
registries) - all of which are predicated on consistent and near universal
adoption in order to maintain uniqueness and global interoperability.
Similarly, technical "standards that are chosen and defined based on
technical merit" seems quite clear, but that becomes less clear in the
registry policy realm given the possibility of applicable public policy
directives and/or mandates that may also warrant consideration in
the development of registry policy.

Given the lack of ARIN community consideration of these principles, as
well as some uncertainty regarding its application to ARIN's mission, it
was not possible to endorse the Open Stand platform at announcement.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN

p.s.   FYI - ARIN's representation of the community in the region (on matters
         of Internet governance and overall Internet policy) is based upon those
         positions that have been repeatedly discussed at our member meetings
         and which are represented on our web site here:
             <https://www.arin.net/participate/governance/arin.html>
         please feel free to provide feedback to me if you feel that these positions
         are lacking in some manner - Thanks!