[governance] definition of "governance" (was Re: talking vs acting)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sun Sep 1 17:37:19 EDT 2013

JFC Morfin <jefsey at jefsey.com> wrote:

> >    Definition: Internet governance is the development and
> > application of shared principles, norms, rules, decision-making
> > procedures, and programmes that shape the  of the
> > Internet.
>
> IMHO you are missing the governance's true role which is neither the
> use (this is the short term operance's mission) nor the care of the
> evolution (that is concertance long term architectonic
> responsibility), but the mid-term management of the internet.

My perception of the Internet is similar to WGIG's in that I see
the Internet getting used and evolving, but I don't see it being
subject to management.

In my opinion that lack of management is a feature: The Internet
has been designed for not requiring centralized management.

> What is discussed when talking of the "death of the internet" are two
> changes of paradigm.

Talking of the "death of the internet" is actually pretty ridiculous
IMO. Among the plausible interpretations of what is going on, the
most dramatic would be that some paradigms of Internet governance
could be going through a foundational crisis from which some of them
might emerge either rejuvenated or dead. Furthermore, some people's
trust in some or all of the endorsers of the “OpenStand” declaration
may have died.

But the Internet itself is certainly alive and well.

> >    Note: Governments, civil society and the private sector are all
> >    involved in Internet governance in various roles.
>
> You are missing International organizations in the 4-lateral MSist
> governance.

If the role of international organizations is to facilitate discussion
and coordination among governments in regard to their roles in
Internet governance, with opportunities for members of other
stakeholder groups to participate in the discussions, why should
“international organizations” be listed explicitly any more than say
the IGC which has such a role for civil society?

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Recommendations for effective and constructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person