[governance] DMP} Re: Sign-On Statement regarding the 2014 Internet Governance Summit in Brazil

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 09:54:29 EDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 05:41:31 +0200 I wrote:

<snip>

>> Also this point could be explicitly mentioned in the text of the IGC
>> decision endorsing the statement, for example as follows:
>>
>>   The IGC endorses the Sign-On Statement regarding the 2014 Internet
>>   Governance Summit in Brazil at http://igcaucus.org/sign-on.html and
>>   notes in addition that the needed Internet governance architecture
>>   as per the first bullet point must allow for full and equal
>>   participation in the policy development processes in a variety of
>>   languages including the six UN languages.
>>
>> This is an informal draft text which can be freely edited at
>> http://igcaucus.org:9001/p/sign-on-endorse-plus
>
> [with IGC coordinator hat on]
>
> There hasn't yet been further discussion on this, and I also note that
> the above posting was buried in a long thread, with no explicit
> “decision making process” (“BMP}”) marker, hence I'm reposting this
> now with such a marker. I expect to post a formal consensus call in a
> couple of days; since we're not under strong time pressure here, that
> consensus call will run for at least 72 hours.

So we are not actually making a statement, we are words-mithing our
sign on to a statement, and adding a language requirement to our sign
on?

I have some issues with the following 2 bullet points:

"A strengthened Internet Governance Forum could play a role in the
future Internet governance arrangements to be discussed at the event,
and it should be linked with the CSTD WGEC process as appropriate."

Why would we as CS want to link a fully inclusive process (IGF) to a
non-inclusive process?

What kind of linkage and why?

"The event should extend beyond good will speeches or presentations of
good intentions and seek to produce actionable outputs."

Who would "action" these potential outputs and how?

I wouldn't want IGC to sign on to this before some clarity is given on
the above.

--
Cheers,

McTim