[governance] Draft Civil Society Brief [Background/Overview and Proposal]

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 19:59:51 EDT 2013

Dear All,

Following meetings of global civil society which was chaired by Best Bits,
there have been some slight changes to the text and I will ask Jeremy to
please share it here.

*Proposal to the IGC (IGC Position)*

*This is a consolidated summary of what civil society on the IGC mailing
list have been saying in relation to the Proposal for a Dynamic Coalition.
The three points are non-contentious and are part of our mandate under the
Charter. Given that we have not solicited feedback from the IGC community
in this regard, we will remove any political connotation except for the
right to mobilize, freely associate and participate. It is important that
as the IGC our release goes out. On the other hand the coordinators are
happy to sign the Release in their capacity as coordinators.*

* *

·         1) Civil Society is a critical part of the shared decision making
process in Internet Governance;

·        2)  Civil Society reserves the right to sit at the table and
formulate the Agenda and join the Steering Committee in charting the
discussions, organization and coordination;

·         3) Civil Society seeks clarifications in terms of deadlines for
submissions to enable it to mobilize and gather feedback from its
respective constituencies.

We also need to continue having the dialogue and hearing all the views from
members and subscribers to the IGC. This can continue over the mailing list
and simultaneously on the etherpad. Feel free to do tracked edits on this
current draft Civil Society Brief.