[governance] Ad hoc Best Bits strategy meeting tomorrow lunchtime

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 12:53:26 EDT 2013

Thanks, Jeremy, for alerting us about what is going on with the "technical"
community.
Personally, I'm okay with moving the call for endorsement to 24hrs earlier
--just as I agree with the need for more private/f2f strategizing.

McTim, multistakeholder does not mean anti-governmentalism. Nor does it say
the "technical community" takes over from government. It really means "on
equal footing" etc., governments included, if you ask me. Furthermore, I do
not think I have any track record for celebrating governments, but I'll say
this. In some circumstances, governments may be evil, but it was also a
world led by governments which gave us the Universal Declaration of Human
Rights and related texts, which have served as formidable normative tools
for social progress. And sometimes, some of them put a stake into seeing
those norms upheld.

Left to their own devices, techies don't necessarily have the best interest
of the user at heart (I suspect Vint Cerf would agree with me since while
opposing the notion that Internet is a HR, he suggested that designers
could do a better job in making the technology more HR-friendly, so to
speak, in short.) While they do a lot of wonderful things --there's no
denying that, not of my part anyway-- techies cannot write a clean and
accurate user guide for... users! It is my sense that they are mostly
impressed with impressing their peers, as is often the case with minority
groups of meritocrats. So yes, seeing "multistakeholderism" as the
opportunity to shift from "government-centric" to "techno-centric" should
be a matter of concern to CS --or to any plain citizen, for that matter.

I'm just saying -- "on equal footing" my dear!

Mawaki