[governance] Fw: [bestbits] Readout on meeting with technical community

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Oct 22 00:14:16 EDT 2013

Forwarding from BestBits list...

Greetings,
Norbert

Beginn der weitergeleiteten Nachricht:

Datum: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 13:58:45 -0200
Von: "Carlos A. Afonso" <ca at cafonso.ca>
An: Mawaki Chango <kichango at gmail.com>,  Best Bits
<bestbits at lists.bestbits.net> Betreff: Re: [bestbits] Readout on
meeting with technical community

Very good points, Mawaki -- shows you are closely following and
understanding this delicate and complex process.

Dilma today in her official twitter reinforced very clearly the goals
she defends for IG and for the meeting. The main tweets of today on
this, in my translation (Portuguese below):

[1] @dilmabr twitted: "Brazil defends an open, democratic and
participative Internet."

[2] Pres.Dilma Rousseff tweets in favor of "net neutrality without
...restrictions of any nature except technical and ethical criteria"

[3] Dilma Rousseff: [in favor of] the multistakeholder model, as we
already follow in Brazil.

[4] President Dilma Rousseff: "we want IG with participation of govs,
priv.sector and, *above all*, civil society."

In PT-BR:

[1] Dilma Rousseff ‏@dilmabr O Brasil defende uma internet aberta,
democrática e participativa.

[2] Dilma Rousseff ‏@dilmabr Defendemos neutralidade da internet.
Respeito critérios técnicos e éticos. Sem restrições políticas,
comerciais, religiosas, de qq natureza

[3] Dilma Rousseff ‏@dilmabr O modelo chamado “multistakeholder”, como
já fazemos no Brasil.

[4] Dilma Rousseff ‏@dilmabr Defendemos governança da internet
envolvendo governos, setor privado e, sobretudo, sociedade civil.

I think the speech at the High Level Meeting today by Brazil's minister
of communications reinforced this vision. Quite a surprise, considering
his opposite attitude on these views until very recently.

Do people still think the Brazil meeting will be "only Icann", or "led
by Icann", or will not seriously deal with these crucial issues? Our
main task as civil society organizations is organize ourselves to try
and build consensus to get deeply involved in the preparation of the
meeting. We ought to have a strong presence throughout the process, to
make good on Dilma's view that "we want IG with participation of govs,
priv.sector and, *above all*, civil society."

I tried to convince people of the "i*" group of the same, and I think
this is their consensus as well.

fraternal regards

--c.a.