[governance] On acceptable and unacceptable criticism

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Tue May 28 01:36:08 EDT 2013

Why does it go too far?

If one is engaging in civil society one can have one's views, but at
least must be open to persuasion, or no?

If what you argue is true then I too have lots of motive to dredge up
and raise on this list, particularly regarding collaborators and what I
call the paternalistic liberal bent. I am very happy to discuss this in
terms of motives and substance - it was not fruitful in the past, but
hey I am already boxed in as anti-American (on a very loose
charaterisation as I would join self-hating Americans who share my
crits) so that would give me and a bunch of us some real space to move
on what is a constrained list at best.

Norbert, I for one find the recent discussions much more amenable to
engagement, the decorum is great, and have noted much more
participation. It is important that the role you play be treated with
the decorum it deserves, even if you personally may have issues with
people. I vote that the list is MUCH better since your interventions...
Does anyone feel like this too? Or is the 'consensus' with Avri in
general approach or tenor?

Riaz