[governance] [Off-Topic] India planning privacy violating surveillance

Chaitanya Dhareshwar chaitanyabd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 07:39:42 EDT 2013

As in the Reuters today:

India has launched a wide-ranging surveillance programme that will give its
security agencies and even income tax officials the ability to tap directly
into e-mails and phone calls without oversight by courts or parliament,
several sources said.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/06/20/india-surveillance-idINDEE95J04V20130620?feedType=nl&feedName=intopnews

I expect this will fizzle out like many other Indian IT/technology
enhancement ventures - but the risk is if it succeeds. There's been near
zero coverage of this overall, which indicates (IMHO) a great disinterest
and distrust of anything the government is doing.

In general the attitude I see is "If the government's doing it, it'll
probably not be worth doing - and if it does succeed nobody will use it".
Given the government is supposed to be the voice of it's people ours is
really very silent...

-C