[governance] Perspectives (was Re: Fwd: And Now the Second Battle of the Internet)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Jun 17 09:13:14 EDT 2013

Am Tue, 18 Jun 2013 00:24:02 +1200
schrieb "Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro"
<salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com>:

> For the record, I am from Fiji which is defined as a small island
> developing state. I refuse to be labelled as a Third Worldist because
> in doing this I accept that there is a First World, Second World etc.
> I refuse to have my identity defined through this means. This does
> not mean that I do not recognise that there are diverse contexts and
> markets as there is diversity of region, markets and I also recognise
> that context shapes meaning.

Hi Sala

Isn't the term “developing state” also problematic? I mean, all
societies are developing in some ways. Some of the changes may be
negative rather than positive, or at least there is legitimate
plurality of opinions whether some developments are desirable or not.
In so-called more “developed” countries, the speed of some kinds of
changes might even be greater than corresponding changes in
countries that are officially labeled as “developing”.

What makes sense from my perspective is Sen's capabilities approach,
and the consequent quest to empower individuals and communities to
expand the set of capabilities available to them.

In any case, I'm wondering how you'd label your kind of perspective.
Or would you prefer not to attach any label to it at all?

Greetings,
Norbert