[governance] Our own worst enemies??

Charity Gamboa charityg at diplomacy.edu
Wed Jun 12 17:17:15 EDT 2013

Hi De,

My take on this is that when it comes to personal information that is being
placed on a database with proper documentation as to who is allowed  to
view the said documentation, and when there is a breach to such agreement
pertaining to personal information being divulged without consent, then
there is outrage. For instance, FERPA (Family Education Rights and Privacy
Act of 1974) prohibits divulging of student information unless there is
written consent from the student. Once a child reaches 18 here in the US,
parents are not even allowed to call the university for any information
like enrollment or grades unless there is written notice by the student.
It surely does not matter if that student lives in one roof with his/her
parents - the information is kept confidential. Plus, anybody who handles
student information has to undergo FERPA training and be certified in order
to handle student information. My experience in the Philippines is
different because if one is under 21 years old, they are still considered a
minor. As far as I know, FERPA rights are explained to any 18 year old
student entering college/university.

I am working with pre-college, college and ABE students here in the US.
With the exception of my ABE, I would consider most of these kids I am
working with to be the digital natives. Yes, they like to live "loud."
Inadvertently, these kids like to take their "drama" online most of the
time. There was a recent story of a 27 year old who went to Dunkin Donuts,
confronted them for not giving her a receipt and for the rudeness of the
lady who served her the other day. Then she informed them that she was
videotaping the whole thing so she could post it on Facebook (cussing and
all). Apparently, the drama she hoped would gain her 15 minutes of fame
backfired. Of course, there's also the other side of this generation that
are self-regulating. So yes, it is a generation divide.

It's also a different culture that digital natives lose themselves in
technology. Parenting styles are different - you can have a set of parents
who would shove an iPad to a whining kid just to shut them up. It's a
reality I have seen everywhere. That's a shift in values.

There is an extensive entitlement mentality going on in this generation. I
would not be surprised if unusually outrageous behavior before is now
considered normal - with the likes of Lindsay Lohan, Amanda Bynes and Kim
Kardashian tweetering every move they make (that includes private moments),
there's not a lot these days that kids would not hide.   A lot of people in
this list are parents, too, so if that is something that worries most of
you - especially if they turn out to be "loud." If you want to be that
parent who acts like an actual parent, you can keep your kids in line. But
if one thinks that it's cool to be your kid's friend than be a parent, you
got yourself a bigger problem.

Regards,

Charity Gamboa-Embley