[governance] FW: [IP] NSA has direct access to tech giants' systems for user data, secrAnet files reveal | World news | guardian.co.uk

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 11:24:38 EDT 2013

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 3:38 AM, Riaz K Tayob <riaz.tayob at gmail.com> wrote:

>> From: McTim [mailto:dogwallah at gmail.com]
>>
>> Well it is the job of the NSA to spy on you.  Not defending it, just
>> stating
>> a fact that has been evident for many decades now.
>

> And that contextualises the single rooters argument on CIR.

It does no such thing.

> Which is why "US exceptionalism" implicitly or explicitly is an issue for
> discussion. And shows where the buck stops for people on this list.

For the umpteenth time, there are zero "US exceptionalists" on this list.

> Hence a serious lack of analytic credibility for single rooters, and
> Multistakeholderism that cannot deal with INTIMATE relationship

It's a legal relationship.   Would you ask that Google/FB/Yahoo!, etc
be answerable to the UN?

If so, you (and Michael, et. al. in their calls for a "global
framework") are guilty of "Magical Thinking" if you seriously contend
that gov'ts will give up that much sovereignty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_thinking

 between the
> US govt and corporations. Why is it that governments are seen as
> presumptively bad but corporations who behave like this (denying what the
> government affirms - PR or BS?)?

Because this is government imposed "evil".  Do I wish the Yahoo!'s and
FB's had fought
harder against this? sure!

If I ran FB or Goolge, would I do the same faced with a legal order
from a "secret court" that would punish me personally if I revealed
the existence of said order?  Probably.  I might look into moving ops
offshore (Ireland) in that case...oh wait we are against that as well.

--
Cheers,

McTim