[governance] WG: Final deadline and requirements for workshop proposal completeness

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Jul 17 15:55:17 EDT 2013

In message
<CAMz5XN60Y0iTxG5ED6pfRgxj093x_79VdOQTp9t7o0qRos2P-Q at mail.gmail.com>, at
09:03:29 on Wed, 17 Jul 2013, Deirdre Williams
<williams.deirdre at gmail.com> writes
>it sounds as if the physical location of this IGF in Bali, and the
>current financial situation, taken together, will provide splendid
>encouragement for remote participation (RP), at least to those of us
>from the "other" side of the world

I'm afraid to say (and I have several scars) that having a meeting in
quite such a high profile tourist destination is the kiss of death to
many potential participants from stakeholders such as government and
large corporations. Perhaps 20 years ago those participants would work
harder to justify such a trip, but we live in different times now.

This doesn't mean it's bad place, or the people there don't deserve such
a meeting being brought to their doorstep. But it gives many attendees a
significant hurdle.
--
Roland Perry