[governance] NTIA on certain geographic names...

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Jul 8 13:30:21 EDT 2013

Mawaki
Here is my take on the NTIA statement: http://www.internetgovernance.org/2013/07/06/the-ntias-new-policy-of-appeasement/

>From my point of view, I would reject BOTH the trademark community's insistence that they own generic words in the domain name space because they are trademarked somewhere, AND your belief that local communities "own" names (which may appear in dozens of other places or could be used in ways which do not create confusion or violate any legal rights). Those views are perfectly symmetrical and are based on the nominal fallacy  described below.

So much discussion of this issue is founded on the assumption that the exclusive occupation of a domain name string also means exclusive ownership or occupation of a market or region semantically referenced by a string. This assumption is obviously false: registration of the string .BOOK does NOT give anyone any special market control over books, or over the use of the word 'book' in thousands of other contexts, and the same goes for "Amazon" or geographic names. Let people use words freely  and creatively and unless specific, well-bounded rights are violated, e.g. via deliberate deception or misleading uses,