[governance] caucus contribution, consultation and MAG meeting

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Wed Jan 30 14:36:37 EST 2013

Hi

Like Wolfgang, Avri and other fellow travelers, I am locked up in an intensive meeting at ICANN HQ for non-conctracted parties house [all with remote participation if anyone cares, https://community.icann.org/display/ncph/InterSessional+-+January+2013 ] and so behind on this thread, but glad to see discussion with an eye to a caucus contribution to the consultation.  Inter alia, something solid would put the MAG CS contingent on stronger grounds for pushing much needed changes at the Paris meetings.

I hope a common platform can be that it is finally time to put to bed some of the old main session themes.  At the February 2012 MAG I proposed doing so and trying to organize MS around current "hot topics" that are on everyone's lips.  Argued for starting with a MS on human rights and was shot down by other SGs who felt that change would be risky, premature, etc.  But things have moved on since then, and I think there is growing recognition that marching through generic sessions on, e.g. security openness privacy and access and diversity is, together with the multiplication of workshop tracks, draining the MS of energy and relevance. So we might be able to get a lot further this time if there's a concerted effort that enjoys strong backing.

Three suggestions echoing Adam:

On Jan 29, 2013, at 12:33 AM, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:

> How do you feel about devoting a day to a single subject and using
> mixed formats?

1.  I like this, and suggested in Vilnius that a full day on IG4D and developing country concerns that drilled down into concrete challenges rather than floating around generalities with an eye to outlining alternative solutions would be useful.  No takers on that idea, but I still like having a focused bit.

How about a somewhat orthogonal focus: regional, rather than single issue.  We go around the world without really frontally engaging the range of challenges present in particular regions, or using the event to do serious outreach to stakeholders, mobilizing them to engage in IGF.  So why not a day on IG in Asia in Bali?  Encourage MAG et al to make a serious effort to draw in people from the host country and surrounding to talk about some of the fast moving and often conflictual developments going on there?  Mixed formats—informational bits, SG views, debates, etc.

> Not wedded to any of above, but I think enhanced cooperation and
> Internet principles both merit much more time than a single typical
> format session can offer.

2. Enhanced cooperation seems like a must given the debates around it in CSTD and Baku; does anyone believe we should not be pushing for a MS on this?

3.  Principles is certainly a possibility, but it would need to be a lot stronger than the first crack at it Baku.

Bill