[governance] Facebook spent $4 million to lobby U.S. lawmakers in 2012

Norbert Klein nhklein at gmx.net
Sat Jan 26 03:52:38 EST 2013

On 26 1.2013 10:48, Guru गुरु wrote:
> On 01/26/2013 10:38 AM, Guru गुरु wrote:
>> [snip]

>> * I would think it axiomatic that global democracy will require a
>> league of nations and nationalities and not any one having any
>> pre-eminent position, so it is disappointing (though not surprising)
>> that we get responses on the list about 'US eminent role/ US
>> exceptionalism' being good or inevitable. To quote that great
>> American, Abraham Lincoln "No man is good enough to govern another
>> man without that other man’s consent", something many Americans on
>> this list and other nationals favoring US eminence in IG, may want to
>> ponder about.
>
> also on the same wiki page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutocracy
>
> " When the Nobel-Prize winning economist Joseph Stiglitz
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Stiglitz> wrote the 2011 Vanity
> Fair magazine article entitled “Of the 1%, by the 1%, for the 1%”, the
> title as well as the content pointed to evidence that the United
> States is increasingly ruled by the wealthiest 1%. .....  elites like
> to think of themselves as acting in the collective interest, even as
> they act in their personal vested interest.

See also:

    *Davos 2013: Joseph Stiglitz attacks US 'inequality'*

    *Stiglitz: 'Most citizens have not taken part in even mild growth'*
    *The richest 1% of Americans now hold 25% of the country's wealth
    and more needs to be done to boost equality, Nobel Prize winning US
    economist Joseph Stiglitz has said. *
    *http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21183987*

Norbert Klein