[governance] Re: a formal appeal request to the appeal team to reverse the recent ban on a Member

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jan 12 09:55:29 EST 2013

I had hoped to stay out of this unfortunate morass. My response to
personally nasty people normally is to avoid interacting with them, and
this mostly works. But, it is apparent that there are considerable
political overtones to this 'morass' and I normally do make the due
political response to such political things.

On Saturday 12 January 2013 05:37 AM, McTim wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Riaz and Parminder and others throw around tags like "neo-liberal" and
> "neo-con" and "American Exceptionalism"
Although everything I say here applies to Riaz as well, I will speak for
myself especially because I am going to make specific claims and
challenge McTim to disprove them.

The terms you mention. McTim, are very regularly used in contemporary
political literature. If we are to disallow these terms from political
discussions and discourse then we will have to ban some of the best
current political literature, especially coming from the South.

I use these terms only to refer to set of political views, and that is
how these are supposed to be used. I dont use them to label a particular
person. In addition, every time I use these terms I go into considerable
detail explaining their use.

On a very very few occasions, I have indeed responded to the use of
specific political labels, with a counter-label.... Without exception,
and I repeat, /without exception/, every such usage responds to a
specific, personalised reference/ label made by someone. (I understand
that there could be considerable sanctimonious advice by some that one
can just ignore such labels, but when in the middle of a political
contestation there often is a clear requirement - to be effective at
what one is doing - not to ignore such a labelling. I welcome a separate
discussion on this issue.)

Having made these claims, McTim, since you have specifically used my
name to make an accusation,/*I challenge you prove my above claims
wrong. And if you cannot, then do the gentlemanly thing and withdraw
your comments and apologize. */

> where they do not apply.

Now, we can hardly go by McTim's judgement as to where terms like neolib
and American exceptionalism apply or dont apply.  But, well, you do seem
to agree that there terms do apply to some kind of views. That is
encouraging. Well, let me repeat the act for what you accuse me - I have
not the least doubt that these terms - neolib, US exceptionalism -
strongly apply to some of the views routinely presented on this list.
And now that I have  done it again, why dont you seek that I be called
for such an insolent behaviour.

It would be apparent to everyone that the IGC elist is a site of deep
political contestations - which is not necessarily a bad thing . The
terms you refer to are central to some of the key political
contestations of current times. IF we ban them, then as Carlos says,
maybe we can discuss football and pop music on this list.

>    They
> are insulting to those who they are aimed at, mostly becuase they are
> wildly inaccurate.
McTim, as above, you dont seem to be the best judge of the accuracy of
these terms at all, but I will take a chance - tell me what is the
accurate meaning / usage of these terms. It may help my political learning.

> They don't get called on it, but when SRS says "gleefully posting",
> those words get him banned?
Characterising political positions, in the middle of a political
discussion, with due elaborations, is not to be compared with what has
been routine, extra-ordinarily routine, spilling of personal and
personalised contempt on this list. No, it was not just the one phrase
'gleefully posting' - which did in fact have no purpose in the concerned
email other than to express deep personal contempt//- that got your
friend called for. And this was certainly not the most contemptuous
expression he has made, far from it. In fact it falls quite below his
normal standard. The concerned email just capped a series of events
that  made the coordinator do what she did.

parminder