[governance] European Commission on Google Investigation Was Google Survives US FTC Probe #FTC #EC #Google #competition

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 17:57:10 EST 2013

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 11:03 AM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 2:54 AM, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro
> <salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > It has been reported through Tech Crunch and the Financial Times that
> Google
> > still may be diverting traffic
>
> how is this accomplished?
>
> The actual diversion of actual traffic (by routing or DNS hijacking
> for example) is a pretty major accusation.
>
> How is Google "diverting" traffic?  I would be shocked if they are.

I would be too which is why I am curious with how the European Commission
is conducting their investigation/analysis and would be interested to read
their Reports on the matter so if anyone on the EC or follows anti-trust
matters pertaining to this subject knows anything, grateful if it could be
shared on this list.

It is interesting for me because traditionally Freedom of Expression has
often been around civil/political/religious issues etc. However with trade
and commerce, there are perhaps new threats to Freedom of Expression. If
traffic is diverted and if you have 2 billion internet users on the planet
and majority of them rely on the dominant search engines - it would be
interesting from the end user's perspective to know if the immediate
results to your search queries were influenced in some way and it would be
interesting to know what those influences are.

Sometimes, there is no smoke without fire. The fact that both the FTC and
the EC were both querying this at more or less the same time means that
someone or some people or organisations have raised this as an issue.

> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala