[governance] FW: [Dewayne-Net] Vint Cerf: Internet competition has "evaporated"

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Wed Jan 9 05:01:32 EST 2013

This is an very interesting an funny topic.

What is the "public interest" and how does it relate to regulation?

The concept of regulation is simple: "We give you monopoly access to
limited resource, in exchange you promise to abide by these rules."
Anything outside that is abuse.

So, what is the public interest with relation to Internet? "Free, fast
Internet for everyone"? If so, then most Government will fall victims of
"I can promise you things nobody else can do". Companies of all sorts
will promise this in exchange for something.. a monopoly here and there,
Government protection, state guarantees etc.

The trouble with the Internet is that there is choice. Internet grew
bottom up before those folks figured out what it is all about. Now,
those bribing companies are just some of the many and they usually follow.

The public interest in my opinion is to avoid any kind of monopoly
deals. Any monopoly deal bring regulation and any regulation bring
monopoly deals.

Daniel