[governance] Obama Takes Swipe At Patent Trolls In Call For Further Reform

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 05:18:22 EST 2013

Meanwhile low patent quality persists.... and New Zeelanders would know
about honest brokering on these issues...

    Obama Takes Swipe At Patent Trolls In Call For Further Reform

Published on 15 February 2013 @ 11:43 pm

Print This Post
<http://www.ip-watch.org/2013/02/15/obama-takes-swipe-at-patent-trolls-in-call-for-further-reform/print/>
Print This Post
<http://www.ip-watch.org/2013/02/15/obama-takes-swipe-at-patent-trolls-in-call-for-further-reform/print/>

By Kelly Burke <http://www.ip-watch.org/author/kburke/> for Intellectual
Property Watch

US President Obama took aim yesterday at so-called patent trolls and
said that further US patent reform is needed. He also called for a
continued focus on protection of IP rights, but signalled a need for
balance with openness.

"They don't actually produce anything themselves," President Obama said
when asked about problem of "patent trolls," which are also referred to
as non-practicing patent-holding entities. "They are essentially trying
to leverage and hijack somebody else's idea and see if they can extort
some money out of them." Some have raised questions about the basis for
criticism of non-practising entities.

President Obama, during a virtual Google+ fireside "hangout", fielded
questions on a variety of topics before turning his attention to
intellectual property policies affecting the US. He praised his
administration's progress in ongoing patent reform but noted legislative
shortcomings, saying "it hasn't captured all the problems."

"Our efforts at patent reform only went halfway to the point where they
need to go," he said.

President Obama closed out the topic by advocating for a balance between
protection and internet freedom.

"I'm an ardent believer that what's powerful about the internet is its
openness and its capacity for people to get out there and introduce a
new idea with low barriers to entry," he said. *"We also want to make
sure that people's intellectual property is protected and whether it's
how we're dealing with copyright, how we're dealing with patents, how
we're dealing with piracy issues. What we've tried to do is be an honest
broker between the various stakeholders and to continue to refine it,
hopefully keeping up with the technology, which doesn't mean that there
aren't occasionally going to be some problems that we still haven't
identified and have to keep on working on."*

Watch the full video here. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp_zigxMS-Y>