[governance] Communication Challenges [Brainstorming]

Devon Blake devonrb at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 16:28:55 EST 2013

One way of mitigating this is identify those with multianguage skils on the
list and create a datbase with the languages they speak so they become a
clearing house for thse languages which we have dificulty translating.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Rudi Vansnick <rudi.vansnick at isoc.be>wrote:

> Language is important, and most often the barrier for people to be engaged
> and involved thus allowing them to participate in governance and policy
> matters.
> Translation is indeed a solution, however, it is almost impossible to
> translate all and everything in any language. For instance, as Dutch is my
> mother tongue I would expect the documents would be translated in Dutch.
> And so will expect everyone. Mission impossible ...
>
> Translation in just a few languages is not fair against all other
> languages.
>
> Just my 2 cents
>
>   Rudi Vansnick
>

> Op 15-feb-2013, om 21:20 heeft Nick Ashton-Hart het volgende geschreven:
>
> FWIW, in At-Large we faced significant language issues, with many
> participants with limited English and native Spanish or French
> respectively. We tried automatic translation of emails, but it was a pretty
> imperfect situation.
>
> Avri is completely correct, if you really want multiple language
> communities to have equal opportunity to participate, it takes extra time
> and energy (IMHO it is not only worth it but actually a necessity) for
> everyone. Many of you here will know how strongly I feel that the dialogue
> is richer with everyone in it, even if the linguistic challenges require
> patience and extra work to try to overcome.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Nick Ashton-Hart
> Geneva Representative
> Computer & Communications Industry Assocation (CCIA)
> Tel: +41 (22) 534 99 45
> Fax: : +41 (22) 594-85-44
> Mobile: +41 79 595 5468
> USA DID: +1 (202) 640-5430
>
> *Need to meet with me? Schedule the time that suits us both here:
> http://meetme.so/nashton*
>
> Sent from my one of my handheld thingies, please excuse linguistic
> mangling.
>
> On 15 Feb 2013, at 15:10, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Interesting proposal.
>
> Is Spanish the only language we have this issue with?
> Or would this be a pilot that could/would be expanded to other languages
> if it worked well?
>
> One thing, I think that extra time would need to be built into the
> schedules to handle this.
>
> avri
>
> On 15 Feb 2013, at 05:17, Norbert Bollow wrote:
>
> Sala <salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> How can we turn this challenge of communication into an opportunity?
>
> Any thoughts?
>

> Maybe this experience of communication problems can serve as a
>
> motivation to create a "Spanish Language Caucus" for
>

> a) discussion in Spanish of global information society issues;
>

> b) discussion of information society issues concerning specifically
>
>  users of the Spanish language;
>

> c) selecting Ambassadors, trusted by the "Spanish Language Caucus"

> [...]

Devon Blake
Special Projects Director
Earthwise Solutions Limited
29 Dominica Drive
Kgn 5
,Phone: Office 876-968-4534, Mobile, 876-483-2632

To be kind, To be helpful, To network
*Earthwise ... For Life!*