[bestbits] [governance] Re: [IRPCoalition] IGF - and the corporatisation scandal

Avri Doria avri at ella.com
Fri Aug 2 05:09:06 EDT 2013

On 31 Jul 2013, at 09:33, parminder wrote:

> ad hominem comment

(to misquote an old IETF adage - comments made wearing asbestos -
i tried to ignore this the first time hoping it would just go away and we could all get back to rational calm conversations)

an ad hominem attack would be an attack that: because someone is a bully, their views are illegitimate/irrelevant.
It does not include the content of calling a bully a bully.

I am not sure I have ever heard an ad hominem attack on this list.

For example a comment one might hear: X is a terrible bully, but sometimes, if you can get past the bullying, X makes a lot of sense.
Another comment one might hear: I think I agree with what X is saying, but X is such a bully I am afraid that if I put my agreement in the wrong way I will get beat up for it.

One could also say, I agree with a lot of what CX says, but X is just so mean.

(I have versions of all of these about certain unnamed IGC participants)

Those you accuse of ad hominem attacks against you, are among the greatest defenders off-list of some of the positions you represent.
Many of us disagree with you but would never dare say so on the list for fear of starting a flame war.
Many of the rest of us just try to hunker down and wait for the storm to pass.

Someone/everyone, please stop the venom.
It has rendered the IGC nearly irrelevant.
When the IGC is discussed, pretty much the main content is the outrageousness of a few individuals.
The words of a few serving to delegitimize the efforts of many.

please stop

Note to coordinators.  I would never quit IGC, but sometimes I beleive being kicked of the list would bring great relief.
I have heard others say similar things.

And now back to hunkering down hoping the storm will pass.

avri