[governance] Shared Decision Making Procedures

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Apr 20 11:41:25 EDT 2013

On Saturday 20 April 2013 07:54 PM, John Curran wrote:
> On Apr 1, 2013, at 10:11 AM, Bertrand de La Chapelle
> <bdelachapelle at gmail.com <mailto:bdelachapelle at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> During the last few months, three conferences (IGF, WCIT, WSIS+10)
>> have helped clarify the landscape:
>>
>>   * the existing Internet institutional ecosystem (RIRs, standards
>>     bodies like IETF or W3C, ICANN, etc...) is dealing in a
>>     distributed manner with the governance OF the Internet, but does
>>     not (and should not) provide a venue for issues related to the
>>     governance ON the Internet (privacy, freedom of expression,
>>     copyright, security, etc...)

Bertrand, We agree that the latter set of issues - which I call larger
Internet-related public policy issues or just Internet-related public
policy issues in contrast to CIR management, which is the former set of
issues above - remains unaddressed, in a truly global and democratic
manner. We should focus on the two sets of issues separately  - as two
different tracks - in the Woking Group  on enhanced cooperation and
other enhanced cooperation discussions. I hope we can agree to this
proposition at the issue framing level.

Meanwhile, I understand that your prescription for addressing the
'Internet related public policy issues' part is to set up issue-based
governance networks. I am happy to discuss this proposal in full
seriousness, and to its finest detail. It is a clear contribution to the
enhanced cooperation discussion. (more on this in another email.) Please
do make a fully detailed proposal on it to the Woking Group.

Another note to John's comment below.

> Bertrand -
>
>   Apologies for a very belated reply, but I've been thinking about the
> above text and
>   wondering if there is a fundamental difference between "dealing in a
> distributed
>   manner with the governance OF the Internet" and "a venue for issues
> related to the
>   governance ON the Internet", and if, as a result, we in the
> community are making a
>   significant mistake in referring to both on occasions as "Internet
> Governance"...

I am very much for a separate treatment of the two set of issues. And I
see good agreement for their separation here. What the two sets are
respectively called is not so mich a problem with me as long they are
separated in the 'enhanced cooperation' discussion. Whether one is
called Internet governance and other as 'Social Network Governance' or
whatever..... (I prefer to call one as 'technical governance of the
Internet' and the other as 'socio-political governance of the Internet',
both together constituting Internet governance.)

parminder