[governance] US House Bill to Affirm the Policy of the United States Regarding Internet Governance

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Apr 15 09:07:08 EDT 2013

In message
<CAOLD2+boLtP7KsvmiQoiAEsn_CxELVXN=f7uyVjK7FnQ6yXA9w at mail.gmail.com>, at
14:33:31 on Mon, 15 Apr 2013, Andrea Glorioso <andrea at digitalpolicy.it>
writes
>On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Roland Perry
><roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
>
>And a tricky question from me: If people who uphold the law are
>potentially not a legitimate stakeholder, what about the people who
>break the law? [Who could be individuals, corporations and even
>sometimes governments]
>
>Apologies but I'm not sure I understand the question: are you asking
>whether people who break the law are legitimate stakeholders or not

Yes; one argument *for* is "full inclusion", one argument *against* is
"but won't they try to adjust the law to their advantage during the
negotiations".

Some might even say "if they break the law they have lost their right to
be a stakeholder", others might argue it's helpful (and I apologise for
an English language ideom) to employ "poachers turned gamekeepers"
because they understand what the shortcomings in the proposals might be.
--
Roland Perry