[governance] Google's officer with detention order in brasil

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 08:51:22 EDT 2012

Milton

The issue is very simple. There was due process of law, and a decision
was made - rightly or wongly (recognising that it is well established
jurisprudence in the ECHR - which is largely fair except to muslims and
the US deferring against or in favour - for "margin of appreciation" to
cope with "cultural" differences).

The problems I have with your perspective, excluding the commitment to a
liberalism (which I have admired for the longest time), in the context
of discourses on this list, is that developing countries are set a
higher standard than that applicable to rich countries. The implicit
exceptionalism of the rich countries is what worries me because why is
it ok ot have California state law (or US anti-trust, etc) apply
extra-territorially but it is not acceptable to have developing
countries' laws apply territorially. There is a double standard here
that unfortunately does not pass robust disinterested scrutiny...
perhaps multilateralism is NOT so bad when compared to the status quo
(but then we would need to be evolutionary in a true sense, if so then
even sincere reformists of ICANN would rally to get Parminder's IT4C
radically altered while keeping the thrust of his politics into the
ICANN processes... but alas, just more of the same...)...

I recognise that even the framing of the debate, as is too prevalent on
this list, forecloses decolonising the people-centred imagination to
deal with issues of the internet being one global space, not confined to
national boundaries, with proxies to bypass national laws available...
there is something really new here that makes a mockery of the facidism
that such state action allows... while not discounting the need to show
umbrage in some form... now no one is seriously believing that issues
can be totally suppressed (except perhaps for the RIAA and the USTR on
IPRs) and things can be found, so what use the expression of approbrium
(that is culturally necessary in some quarters, and may as well be given
leeway unlike the lawless protestations of some of the muslim countries)?...

Just some thoughts, take as you please - and if you feel this is not the
right tenor for discourse here do let me know... I am open to that, even
if we disagree,.

riaz