[governance] The ITU/WCIT: Thinking About Internet Regulatory Policy From An LDC Perspective?

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at consensus.pro
Fri Oct 12 03:01:26 EDT 2012

Dear Milton,

Every study ever written was paid for by someone. It is true that some paymasters attach more strings, and are looking for more specific outcomes, than others. Suggesting that all 'commissioned' studies are not 'real scholarly studies' seems like a pretty large generalisation based more on prejudice than anything else.

I've read very biased commissioned studies, and very biased 'real' scholarly studies. I've read scholarly studies written by people who have no practical experience of the area they write of and as a consequence turn 1+1 into 5 (candidly, speaking generally, I find studies done purely by academics more likely to be divorced from the world at large than commissioned ones, but then, I may be displaying my own biases about the academic world, who knows? ;)