[governance] IGF Workshops

Tracy F. Hackshaw @ Google tracyhackshaw at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 04:07:39 EST 2012

I would support the notion that the majority of the workshops at the IGF
were of a high quality. There were still probably too many, to use ICANN
jargon, "confusingly similar" topic overlaps (some more merging is
required), and several feeder workshops into the Main Sessions occurred
AFTER the Main Session (thereby generally defeating their purpose).

The Main Sessions, were, all in all, in a word, weak and a few descended
into what effectively was a large, unstructured workshop, with several
panelists talking to themselves, answering their own questions, hogging the
floor etc.

Highly unacceptable behaviour.

The Main Sessions are theoretically supposed to be the Reporting ground for
the Feeder Workshops, with facilitated discussion and input by Main Session
panelists, not a stump for panelists' views to overtake the opportunity.

One must recall that this is a Forum, not a Conference or Seminar.

Rgds,

Tracy