[governance] URGENT- meeting with the Indian minister

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Mon Nov 5 22:53:38 EST 2012

Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch [2012-11-05 23:22]:
> the most interesting aspect of this meeting with the Indian Minister
> for IT will be to see if there remains any endorsement for CIRP after
> today's meeting on enhanced cooperation, particularly any official
> endorsement from the Indian Government. When will trustworthy notes
> from that meeting be released? What representation of the official
> position of the government of India is authoritative? (Parminder,
> your complaint that governments are not well coordinated would be
> most pertinent here, if I understood/recall it well.)

From an article by Shalini Singh in The Hindu:

http://goo.gl/04rux

[snip]
In the run-up to the Budapest meet, a UPA task-force held closed-door
consultations involving the Ministry of External Affairs, Ministry of
Telecom and IT, industry bodies and others. Latha Reddy, the Deputy
National Security Adviser, coordinated this effort.

On the issue of India’s earlier UN-CIRP model, Mr. Pilot also confirmed,
“We are moving ahead with new proposals. While the existing system
certainly needs to be changed, India’s position will include
multi-stakeholder involvement and not inter-governmental bodies that may
have been proposed in the past.”

The Indian government’s changed stance on Internet governance, though
subtle, is expected to generate further attention at the upcoming
Internet Governance Forum in Baku, Azerbaijan next month, where
thousands of delegates representing governments, business, civil
society, academia and media from across the world will collect to
discuss the issue.
[/snip]

While I am sure there will be heated disputes on this mailing list over
whether this is a "changed stance", etc., I think the most interesting
bit is the quote by the then-Minister of State on Communications and IT.

Cheers,
Pranesh

--
Pranesh Prakash