[governance] Facebook profiles blocked and content removed in Brazil

Avri Doria avri at ella.com
Thu May 31 09:29:16 EDT 2012

On 31 May 2012, at 02:52, Roland Perry wrote:

> In message <105F1EC9-631C-49BC-9D01-4E1BAE0B26F4 at acm.org>, at 21:35:40 on Wed, 30 May 2012, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> writes
>
>> not sure in what world nudity and hate speech fall under the same category.
>
> Not sure what you mean by "same category", but they are commonly both banned from certain types of communications media in various countries.

That was my point.  When we begin to accept that they are in the same category and that equating them is in any way reasonable, I think we make a big mistake.

Both of these reasons for restricting people's freedom are being grossly abused.  To combine their abuse, and somehow indicate that this is a reasonable thing to do is a really bad idea in my view.

> I refer you to Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" although the jury is still out in the USA regarding the acceptability of the word "Nigger" (although I wouldn't use the word myself other than in a context such as this).

according to the hate speech proponents, using any designation other than the n-word designation is hate speech.  beware.

almost anything is hate speech this days.  and if it isn't hate speech today, give it a chance, it will be hate speech tomorrow.

avri