[governance] IGF and Enhanced Cooperation

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Tue May 29 04:45:27 EDT 2012

Wolfgang points to a useful angle:

- nobody should argue that the IGF *IS* enhanced cooperation
- but the IGF is clearly part of the *PROCESS* towards enhanced cooperation
(ie a place where what EC should be can be discussed)

Is anybody proposing a workshop on Enhanced Cooperation in Baku? If not why?

Or alternatively, why not set up a pre- or parallel event?

The recent Geneva discussions were worthless: a mere repetition of
divergent interpretations. More substantive discussions are needed. What
role can IGC play in making the debate more useful?

B.

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 11:04 AM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <
wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> wrote:

> Here is the background for the IGF/EC confusion:
>
> It started within the WGIG (2004) where we had a mandate to define
> Internet Governance. After agreeing on the basics of the definition we soon
> realized that to "implement the definition" we have to take into
> consideration various functions. We ended up with a "forum function" (for
> policy development) and on "oversight function" (for decision making,
> mainly related to ICANN). The IGF was the proposal for the forum function.
> The "four models" for the oversight function (Status Quo-, Status Quo,
> Status Quo+, Status Quo++). With other words: We had consensus on the forum
> function but no consensus on the oversight function.
>
> The compromise in Tunis was to move from a "new cooperation MODEL" (as
> proposed by the EU/ this was status quo+ and included the establishment of
> an intergovernmental council for the level of "principle") to a "PROCESS of
> enhanced cooperation" (which postponed the decision on a new model). With
> other words, Tunis agreed on a "wait and see" approach for the "oversight
> function".
>
> It was very clear - and this was accepted already during the IGF 2007 in
> Rio by the MAG - that a "process" needs discussion, needs a forum.  Insofar
> today IGF and EC are indeed interconencted as elements of a global Internet
> PDP. But they remain different with regard to decision making and
> institutionalization (oversight function).
>
> In my eyes, the multistakeholder review process, established under the
> AOC, is the most adequate oversight mechanism for ICANN. However the first
> round of the four reviews (not yet completed) have documented also some
> weaknesses in the process. This has to be improved. Energy should be
> invested to make the second round of reviews - which starts end of
> 2013/early 2014 - stronger, more efficient and more public. The innovation
> of the ICANNs AOC Review Mechanism (AREM) is, that this process is both
> multistakeholder and decentralized with a strong role for governments (also
> for governments from developing countries).
>
> BTW, I could imagine also an IGF Review Mechanism to make IGF Improvement
> on onging process.
>
> Anyhow, the future is open.
>
> Wolfgang

Bertrand de La Chapelle
Program Director, International Diplomatic Academy
Member, ICANN Board of Directors
Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")