IETF WAS Re: [governance] Enhanced Cooperation (was Re: reality check on economics)

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Fri May 25 00:32:55 EDT 2012

________________________________

I will have more to say...another day since it's late for me.

But re IETF, this is very important for folks to understand...as Avria said:

If accountability means taking responsibility for what has been done, I think that the IETF practice of taking three steps before deeming something a standard is part of their accountability story.  First they code and prove that something works before making it a proposed standard, then they test in the real world on the real Internet and fix it and call it a draft standard, and only when it becomes fully functional and mainstream in the world does it become a full standard.  There are only 66 or so full standards.  They stand by their work, publish fixes, take responsibility for problems that occur in the network with their standards, improve, republish and monitor.  They take responsibly in a very public way, certainly  large part of accountability.  If their stuff was not worth using, now one would use it and we would have a world full of 7 layer OSI protocol based equipment.

The IETF has kept the fragile net of nets up for decades.   Not a perfect org, but consider the alternative.

A model such as IETF's  and the IGC in which individual volunteers voluntarily assume responsibility has its share of problems...but for net specs, it's worked well. Not perfect but ok for IGC too. Extending that further versus alternate models into Internet governance/enhance cooperation...I will comment more on in next post, tomorrow.