[governance] reality check on economics

Guru गुरु Guru at ITforChange.net
Mon May 21 03:38:27 EDT 2012

On 21/05/12 01:41, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> [...]
I did not say that.  There are local and global monopolies and we need
local and global regulation ... the nature/extent etc of each is a
matter of specifics and requires analyses of the concerned markets. You
also need to read Angela Daly's and Jeremy's mails for their views on
how in the digital space, concentration of power has several other
aspects which traditional competition law is unable to address.

I was asking Avri how she would implement her 'all actors are equal' in
policy making, which she is insistent to apply to global policy making,
at her national level... and if it would not work at national level, how
could she expect it to work at a global level.

> Let me try to concretize for Guru what this means. Let's say there is a cartel or monopoly of some kind over telecom equipment production for the international market in an Indian state. That monopoly - if indeed it has monopoly power - is likely to be politically popular and politically protected locally. (Need I remind you of the controversy over allowing multinational retailers into India's cartelized local scene?) That is, the monopoly profits that are being made can easily be directed to local politicians, may create higher than market wages for the local workers and higher local tax revenues.

Cartelized local scene in India ??? you are moving even further away
from reality than you began :-)

The India retail sector today is the second biggest employer (after
agriculture) and is overwhelmingly made of small shops. The entry of
Walmart will simply decimate this group, as it has succesfully done in
some countries ... neo-liberal economics is good at manufacturing
poverty.... Faoud made some thought provoking points regarding the
local-global connections and power inequalities wrt Internet as well...
..
> If the consumers of these services, who pay too much, are diffused all over the world, and the suppliers/beneficiaries of market power are concentrated locally, then yes, it is unlikely that local political and regulatory institutions will respond properly.
>
> So, we need global institutions.

Do you realise that your point that *'it is unlikely that local
political and regulatory institutions will respond properly", applies
_first and foremost_ to US defacto global policy making, *based on its
local political and economic priorities, which are harmful to the
interests of developing countries...

> We do have institutions for global regulation of business now. One of them is called the World Trade Organization, which tries to prevent national governments from discriminating against foreign entrants. But somehow, I get the feeling that the WTO is not too popular among the economic populists calling for global regulation of Internet businesses. But, maybe I am wrong, perhaps Parminder has discovered (belatedly) the virtues of neoliberal economic policies and is seeking to expand these benefits to the Internet domain.

Again reality is far more nuanced and complex Milton... global
institutions are needed to replace current uni-polar domination... and
then they need to be democratic - two issues which you are collapsing
into one