[governance] reality check on economics

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun May 20 11:12:37 EDT 2012

On 20 May 2012, at 10:39, parminder wrote:

> Two issues here . (1) The 'problem' is global, the problem makers being global players with swift feet to move in and out of any jurisdiction.

The problem is both global and local.  And I think that there is a notion of local market power.  Yes, in theory the market is now global, but in reality it is still rather local - obeying different logic depending on the situation on the ground.

> (2) People like you, and I say it because you have made this assertion often, wish to be global citizens.
>
> In the circumstances, dislike of global rules and regulation (that comes out of an emerging 'global social compact') is first of all quite inexplicable, and, secondly, just another way of saying, I will let the problem be. Because it cant be solved any other wise. (Same for instance is true about regulating the global financial flow which has caused, and keeps causing, economic havoc, and against which a good part of Europe has started to revolt. )

Yes, I wish I could be a global citizen* and try to behave as if I were.  But I also admit that this is a desire and an intention not a reality.  I also admit that I travel on a US passport and live in the US most of the time and am subject to US laws.  I do not delude myself into thinking that I am a global citizen, not matter how much I wish it were possible to be one.

But I am also a strong believer in bottom up direct democratic organization with a great degree of scalability.  This means that there have to be local autonomous structures that cooperate with other such structures, in both a multilateral and aggregate sense.  Since we have not yet figured out how to have democratic local structures, we currently have bureaucratic-representive local structures called governments - something I have frequently referred to as a necessary evil at this stage of human development.  I beleive that while the guidelines need to global, the implementation and deployment of these regulatory frameworks must be tuned to the local realities and based on local scaling properties.  I do not beleive there is a global one size fits all regulatory implementation.

So yes, I beleive we need to figure out how to give a global mutilstakehoder assist to the local regulatory function in support of the public interest.

avri

*  I have said on many private occasions, and i don't try to deny it, that i would trade my local right to vote for a global right to live, work, associate and speak anywhere.  But I realize that this possibility does not exist in this world, as this world has yet become the best of all possible worlds.  So I am happy enough with my US passport at this point in time, it at least allows for fairly free travel.