[governance] CSTD Meeting on EC, Memo 5

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Fri May 18 12:06:29 EDT 2012

Here's the last portion of the Memo.
meeting finished at 18:03.

Martin Boyle
Nominet,
EC has been going on – in many relevant organizations
Support study including Portugal and Switzerland

Medrine on Environment issues
Cameroon
only 5 % of Cameroonians have access to Internet
many connect at Cybercafe, due to lack of modem and USB
not sufficient to provide for greater access, but to reduce digital divide
with other African countries
on IG, questions arises, whether CS/NGO have a stake at all on what it
will take place, in WG
most people access from Internet café since there are no enough fixed
line modems

NGO, in Geneva
??

UAE
with friends, citizen of UAE, users
common view is – we are happy that our government takes comprehensive
view – takes all views

USA
we liked to indicate our appreciation – we have listened very carefully
fundamental principle, that could be applied for going forward on EC
what are these principles indicate – derive from many colleagues
struck at one point – recurring theme
great success of Internet owe, decentralization and MSH
 one said everyone is creating Internet

policy maker should promote and protect free flow of info online –
choice with limited interference
Internet policy making should be conducted in transparency and
accountability, fair process

Third, Cameroon, showed
find practical solutions – to find challenges on this principle

secure online cooperation, understand best practices
access to legitimate content
look forward for continued discussion, on this important

Chair
Share points:
 observation -^ EC takes place, but there still exist gaps, not sufficient
 different stakeholders have different roles, should be able to perform roles
 desire on MSH, must not an option, government have hand in EC
private and public interest – expect transparency and accountability

Suggested to study good cooperation taking place
move closer – evidence-based policy/decision making, mapping our policies
recommended that there be Intern-governmental mechanism to fulfill mandate
building on existing process,
WG be started

Conclude in line with Swiss delegate, to find next step

CSTD, May 22, this will be discussed.

[applause]

Adjourned at 18:03
----