[governance] Re: CIRP+

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun May 13 06:32:55 EDT 2012

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 2:46 AM, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:

> parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> >
> >May I humbly suggest that the real problem, which perhaps out of
> >political correctness some people are hesitant to spell out here, is
> >that you and many others here who are making these protestations trust
> >the governments of the North and simply do not trust the governments of
> >the South.
>
> excuse me?
>
> Putting aside your 'humility', i find this persistent accusation to be
> disturbing.  I for one have never found a government I trust.  Maybe some
> people in some governments who I have met and worked with, but a government
> per se? Not likely.

hear hear,  I am in the Gambia this week, and we are making Internet policy
for the African region with governments as just another "stakeholder"
amongst many  (including lots of CS).  The model works  BTW, I have seen no
one from Google/Cisco/FB/USG here this week.

> But beyond that, this diremption you constantly insist upon in the fabric
> of civil society does help at all.  For myself it make disucssion of any
> points impossible, knowing they will just be discounted becasue I am a
> government lover.
>
> I, not at all humbly, suggest you leave the accusantions out of any
> discussion you wish people to take seriously.

+1.  Besides, it dilutes your arguments when you argue from a 'conspiracy
theorist' POV.

--
Cheers,

McTim