[governance] Rights issues in Azerbaijan / What will CS @ Baku do?

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Tue May 1 05:54:36 EDT 2012

On 01/05/2012, at 4:58 PM, Roland Perry wrote:

> In message <4F9EB51C.2050609 at eff.org>, at 11:51:56 on Mon, 30 Apr 2012, Katitza Rodriguez <katitza at eff.org> writes
>> Another unknown rule for me was the one that was applied to ONI when they run their workshop in Egypt releasing the finding of their report about Internet Censorship. Suddenly, an unknown rule was applied to them without many of us not knowing that this rule exist.
>
> Was that the fracas arising from what UN officials allegedly saw as a "commercial" book launch, with commerce being banned from such meetings (although that's a better known rule for people with space in the "Village" than people holding what was reported at the time as a "reception" rather than a "workshop").

Actually a few ex post facto justifications were proffered to justify the clamp-down on the launch, but the one the Secretariat ran with was that there is a "no posters" rule at the UN.  Then the following day, at another book launch, I took a photo of erstwhile IGF Executive Coordinator Markus Kummer happily sipping champagne under a very similar poster.  Similar except for the fact that it wasn't about China: http://igfwatch.org/discussion-board/markus-kummers-hypocrisy.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy and Project Officer

Follow @ConsumersInt

Like us at www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.