[governance] FBI, DEA, IPv6 & ICANN

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Thu Jun 28 05:16:49 EDT 2012

Alejandro,

I see no reason why to turn to ad personas. Carlos asks what is the
best way to proceed to the people who can politically proceed. The
problem is that for too long these people have not (and still not)
considered the way they should technically proceed. Discussing the
merits of the question or of its origin, or arguing among non decision
makers, does not help addressing the problem.

There is a problem with the Internet Governence (with an "e", like in
Governments) as managed by ICANN and we all are part of the governance
(with a "a" like in atlarge). This is a fact. Period. This as nothing
primarily to do with the people involved and with their US sponsors.
It has to do with the growing inharmony of the 1998 arrangement vs.
the bit-power of the Internet technology as it is (can) now be used.

There are Police concerns. There are established responses with a
given status of the art and common current use. The current technical
evolution cannot be contained anymore by the political and police
establishment. And in spite of people like Carlos and me and many
other no prospective thinking has been carried by those in place, so
the natural extension of the things suddenly appears as disruptive.

Again there are four kinds of responses : maintain status-quo, adapt,
take-over by someone in front of chaos, new order. ICANN tries to
maintain in protecting its position, China tries to consensually
adapt, Google and some Govs are ready for total or local take-over, we
only are a few working a new natural order for a good reason: we had
no feasible, consensual and credible architectural scenario until end
of 2010. Vint Cerf wanted ICANN to wok on that scenario through
IDNA2008 application on the users' side, once we eventually were able
to consensually adopt the Internet end to end part of the scenario. I
was not favorable because ICANN @larges are not representative enough
of lead users and has no direct relation with non-Internet bodies the
solutions are to co-support. Experience proved me right and all ICANN
was interested to do was to discuss variants (a core but small part of
the issue).

Today, every of us is to take a decision. There are intelligent users,
confronted to the digital convergence, who have more weight and
hysteresis  than others: Govs, with the USG being a leader and a big
one; there are operators; there are rogue investors and mafias who are
a true question mark (the negotiation strategy of the FBI will be
different if the de facto leader of the Internet+ is the USG, UN,
people, a drug cartel, ICANN, Google, ITU). Leadership comes from the
Constitution which is the running code.

Whoever wants to be a Digital Leader or obtain a sustained privilege
in the digital area MUST first understand and influence the existing
code and comprehend the way it can and may be used, how and by who
(frankly I doubt there are already more than a score of them at the
IETF). People like Carlos ask pertinent questions and tease those who
should think and foresee. People like me are not much understood when
we explore and work on the next steps to come. But never the less we
are right and our questions/answers (if to be pertinent) concern the
transition of an establishment that wants (this is the definition of
an establishment) to maintain the statu quo or at worst locally adapt.

I note that the first one to clearly identify the present bias we are
to address was the IAB (RFC 3869) and the one who best governs under
the present circumstances is Vint Cerf. Then it is up to each of us,
in our personal capacity, to help the transition from a telephone,
then a host, then a network centric solution to the people centric
solution set we consensually demanded at the WSIS.

jfc