[governance] FBI, DEA, IPv6 & ICANN

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jun 27 06:27:35 EDT 2012

Carlos -

The short answer is that law enforcement does frequently rely
on the Whois directory (IP Whois) in order to determine which
organization should be the recipient of the subpoena or other
lawful query for information.  Service providers in the ARIN
region are required to update the Whois directory with their
IP address delegations to businesses in order to show sufficient
utilization to qualify for their next IP address block.  With
IPv4, this is a frequent occurrence and has led to a directory
which, while imperfect, is sufficient for this task.

With IPv6, the address blocks are so large that service providers
may never need another address block, and may not go through the
effort of keeping the public Whois up-to-date.  This is a concern
that was discussed by government and law enforcement folks at the
ARIN meeting, and led to the FBI raising concern that (unless it
is otherwise addressed) IPv6 might result in degradation of the
Whois registry which they rely upon.  The FBI did not say "Don't
deploy IPv6"; in fact, the USG has directed all agencies to make
sure that their web sites are IPv6-enabled by the end of 2012.
The FBI simply raised a concern about a potential side effect of
IPv6 deployment, one which the community should consider in its
various policy-making efforts.

FYI,
/John

John Curran