[governance] [liberationtech] Chinese preparing for a "Autonomous Internet" ?

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon Jun 25 17:58:13 EDT 2012

On Jun 25, 2012, at 11:27 AM, c.a. wrote:
> David, Icann cannot legislate.

True. Didn't suggest otherwise.

> It was a political decision from the USG, no matter what RFC you bring to the discussion.

Sorry, what was a political decision?  The RFC I mentioned defines the policies by which IANA implements redelegations which was applicable in the redelegation of .IQ.  If you're saying arresting and convicting the Elashi brothers was a political decision, I can't comment as I don't know the details of the case.

> What do you mean "[they] did not do anything with it"??

My understanding (again, before my time at ICANN) was that the .IQ domain was essentially non-functional. Do you have evidence otherwise?

> It is news to me that Icann has the authority to withdraw a cctld because of its activity level.

As I suspect you're aware, ICANN doesn't have the authority to withdraw a ccTLD period. ICANN, through the IANA functions contract, only vets requests made by TLD administrators (existing or prospective) to make changes to the root zone relating to those TLDs. However, the lack of activity within a domain does provide supporting (not definitive) evidence that a redelegation is warranted should someone request that redelegation.

Regards,
-drc