[governance] "Oversight"

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Jun 15 11:08:33 EDT 2012

Norbert,

On Jun 15, 2012, at 4:59 AM, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> some of what
> the USG has in fact inflicted on people outside the US are things
> where --if these things had not in fact happened-- I would have
> described the idea as a non-factual horror that a government which
> is democratic and strongly committed to human rights might take
> such actions

I'm curious: what actions (relative to the USG role in management of global Internet resources) are you referencing here?

> What are in your view realistic scenarios that the oversight function for ICANN should protect us from?

Ones in which ICANN has violated either existing policies and processes or policies and processed defined by its own open, transparent, accountable, and inclusive definition mechanisms.

For example, back in the early days, ICANN tried to force ccTLD admins to enter into contracts for root zone management by refusing to process zone management requests until those contracts were signed. ICANN was appropriately slapped by the USG for that violation of existing policies and processes.

Regards,
-drc