[governance] ITU - summary of draft ITRs to date

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sat Jun 9 23:40:04 EDT 2012

[Milton L Mueller] Roland, the more you talk about this issue, the more you raise questions about how much you know about it.

First, can you tell me (this _is_ a rhetorical question) what is the difference between the "safeguards" in ratifying Budapest and those in ratifying an ITU treaty?

Because there aren't any. They are both international treaties formulated by intergovernmental organizations, with the exception that ITU is more universal in its membership than the Council of Europe, and thus more likely to fail to achieve consensus.

And as for universal end-to-end email, you made me laugh out loud. If you believe that ITU, which has no serious leverage over the world's software developers, DNS providers or email operators, can magically make something happen that every other vendor who has tried, including Microsoft, has failed to do, then you attribute tremendous, almost magical powers to the ITU. Which shows how little you know about it.