[governance] "Oversight"

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon Jun 4 12:28:55 EDT 2012

Avri,

On Jun 4, 2012, at 8:32 AM, Avri Doria wrote:
>> On Monday, June 4, 2012, John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:
>>> Indeed, ICANN can remove entire top-level-domains (such as a ccTLD)
> Or indeed an entire gTLD especially as the new lot come on line over the next 3 years.

This is an interesting case and not one for which there is precedent. Given the contractual relation between the gTLDs and ICANN, I suspect the interpretation would be that ICANN is the gTLD's "sponsoring organization" and would thus be in a position to request changes (modulo whatever contractual terms might exist in the gTLD contract).  The request would still need to be validated by IANA staff, approved by NTIA, implemented by Verisign, and published to the Internet by the root server operators.

Regards,
-drc