[governance] U.N. takeover of the Internet must be stopped, U.S. warns

Koven Ronald kovenronald at aol.com
Fri Jun 1 18:49:19 EDT 2012

Dear Milton --

A host country agreement gives the beneficiary party at least a measure of extraterritoriality. I assume that the point of the suggestion is to remove ICANN from US legal jurisdiction and therefore accomplish the goal of turning it into an entity that is not subject to US government oversight, without becoming a member agency of the UN system, subject to control by member states.

But each such agreement is sui generis, and if exceptions were required for particular laws like anti-trust that would be feasible, I'm not sure that would make a lot of sense in the case of anti-trust. ICANN performs services analagous to those of a licensing agency or a public utility, whose monopolistic status is accepted because of its very nature as a sole service provider.

Anyway, the suggestion is a clever possible way around the dichotomy we have so far been confronted with between international or US national control and/or oversight.

To date, I believe host country agreements have been made only with international agencies. Making one with a body like ICANN would break new legal ground.

Another legal analogy that might be worth exploring is the international legal status of the International Committee of the Red Cross.

Bests, Rony Koven