[governance] Azeri visas

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Wed Jul 11 09:02:28 EDT 2012

Izumi, while thanking you for this, I express my amazement at the fact
that, given the particular circumstances of this event, the organizers
have not yet provided a clear response to these concerns -- which might
mean several people abandoning the idea of going, due to basic things
such as advanced travel reservations and so on.

In my case I had ruled out my participation (Brazilians have to go to
Argentina to get a visa), but got the info that the Turkey embassy in
Brasília might host an Azeri representation and will be able to issue
visas in time for us to get there, so I am reconsidering it. Obviously a
clear policy of issuing visas on arrival for registered participants
would solve this hurdle -- after all, it is a UN event, for crying out loud.

I do agree with Norbert and others that choice of the venue for next
IGFs is a relevant topic for Azerbaijan, considering these issues. As
Faisal said in a recent message: "If the IGF wants to be much more
inclusive and effective, the venue should be chosen in place where it is
lot easier to travel. I hope next time the organizers will keep this in
mind."

fraternal regards

--c.a.