[governance] Picking up where the IGF left off: our role in the future of Internet governance

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Jul 10 10:59:17 EDT 2012

Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:
> I think it is too early to give up on the IGF.

I'm absolutely *not* giving up on the IGF. But right now IMO the way
forward towards meeting the legitimate (not all desires of all
governments are legitimate, some e.g. violate human rights)
internet related "enhanced cooperate" needs of governments, and
establishing a functioning multistakeholder process for issuing
recommendation where needed, does not appear feasible in a way that
makes it right now formally part of the IGF.

> As I have argued elsewhere, its locus of control is shifting from
> the UN initiation to the input of multiple national and regional
> IGF-like multi-stakehoder meetings.  Not there yet, but it is
> becoming a national and regionally motivated organization.

Maybe more a movement than an organization?

Which would be good, since movements are harder to centrally control
or kill.

> I see a twofold  problem with starting from scratch yet again :
>
> - need to attract the governments

Obviously the best way forward is to leverage the IGF as much as we
can, by means of pre-events as well as the various available channels
within the IGF proper.

> - need to go through all the early growing pain nonsense that the
>   IGF is just starting to come out of.

Generally speaking, the "early growing pain nonsense" is generally
speaking a smaller problem compared to the effort and risks associated
with trying to change something that appears to be working.

Greetings,
Norbert